Elder Stockard

Elder Stockard
Mexico Cuidad Obregon Mission

Monday, December 14, 2015

December 14, 2015 - Week 25

Dear Family,

Well how has everyone been?? It´s sounds like quite the exciting time back there with all the moving about with Christmas and school and work and every other thing that makes life fun haha. And also it sounds like Alyssa killed it as the sugar plum fairy in the Nutcracker! Sad that I had to miss it, but I went to enough ballets throughout my years that I can imagine that she was great as always. It is pretty nice to read your guys emails and updates about final exams coming up and for the first time in years not having to worry about those things, but I can feel the pain of everyone who still has to take them.  So with that being said, I wish them all luck!

So this week was pretty sweet, and wayyyy different setting from what I was accustomed to in my other area. I loved my time and the area in Esperanza, but it is a lot different. So to give you a little bit more details on the transfer.... Esperanza was a small town in the state of Sonora and it was actually the most northern part of the mission. Topolobampo is smaller than Esperanza, it´s a port town literally right on the beach, like we can see the ocean from our house. It´s in the state of Sinaloa, about 5 hours from Esperanza. Imagine the distance between Reno and Vegas and that´s about it. It´s super sweet cause the style and setup of the city is way different  from any other area in the mission. That´s not to say that the city resembles the work of a team of engineers from Harvard, because that definitely is not the case, but it is really sweet nonetheless. It´s allllll hills here and so we do a lot of inclined walking which is good for exercise. There´s  a branch here of about 40 members and they are all sooo awesome. My companion Elder Salazar and I have the same amount of time in the mission, and we were friends before cause we lived together in Esperanza for 3 months, so we were pretty stoked to be comps!  

So as far as the work, I'm really excited to move ahead with the people here. We are teaching a lot of really cool people who have a lot of potential and desire to learn. The members are really willing to help us too. We are teaching this one lady named Carla, and we teach her with her aunt and uncle who are members. We also have this 19 year old kid who is super nice and it makes it easier cause we are the same age and can really just talk with them as friends. All the people we talk to are always super interested in all of the logistics about missionary work, and how our lives are. It´s nice because then we can tell them that we´re really just normal people who wanna help them out. We worked with a kid in the branch this week who is going on his mission to Honduras tomorrow, pretty crazy to see other missionaries setting out for their missions haha. But I'm really excited to continue with the people we have and see how it all goes.

So this weekend was really unique too. We got to go to the dedication of the temple in Tijuana and also the cultural event that went on the night before. The Tijuana temple is soooo beautiful; the people there really are blessed to have it there and I hope one day I can visit it! It was all really well put on, and on top of that I got to listen to Pres. Uchtdorf and Elder Oaks and a few 70´s give killer talks which is always a plus. Then today in Los Mochis we all played soccer with like 12 elders in the area and then went to see Los Mochis a little bit. Super sick city, and they have a lot of great Christmas decorations put up right now which makes it look really nice. Honestly Im really really happy with my current setting and I'm so glad to be out here on the mish.

So as far as the Christmas call... We can do it either on Christmas Day of Christmas Eve, but I wanna do it on the 25th. I think that we should be able to do it at about whatever time we want. I would imagine that we´ll do it maybe at like 4:00 or 5:00, but I will confirm with you guys for sure next week. I don´t exactly know how it works, but I know we use skype. If you guys could set me up a skype account and send me the username and password next week, that would be awesome. Just so I don't have to do all that. I will let you all know definitely  next week. Oh and just a heads up, I think our Pday next week is going to be on a different day. I don´t know exactly when, but there´s a good possibility it gets changed, so just be aware of that if I don´t email you guys on Monday. Well that´s about all for me. I love you all so much and Im so glad everything is good with all of you. I'm sure it will be fine but it´s good you are taking care of it. I love you all and will talk to you all soon.

With Love,

Ryan 

No comments:

Post a Comment